The Young Professionals Group met for a discussion about Managing Your Time on October 15th. This was a hot topic and apparently we all needed a refresher on some organization tips. Here are the top takeaways from this discussion:
1. Clean off your desk at the end of each day. A clean desk the next day will make you feel ready for the day.
2. Never have more than three files out at a time you are working on...you can't focus on more than that anyways!
3. Understand your workspace and get the necessary tools, equipment and supplies for your day to run smoothly.
1. Bundle your time when working on multiple tasks. For instance, set aside an hour for one project and two hours for another. Then make sure to stick to the allotted times.
2. When working on big projects, use an outline. This will keep you on task and you can see the next steps to come.
3. Consciously don't check your email. Turn off the reminders. Don't let it take your day over!
Planning for the Future:
1. Take 30 minutes at the end of each day to plan for the next. You will feel prepared and know what to expect.
2. Save templated emails in your signatures. Then you don't have to re-type an email you send on a regular basis. Ex: welcome letter, common questions, etc.
3. Don't schedule more than two hours of your time in one day. If you schedule too much of your day, you won't leave any time for what you need to get done.
Here are two resources that help with Time Management: www.tadalist.com and www.viewpath.com.
The key is to actually start using these tips....happy organizing!